Founded by the Gaekwads in 1894, this has impressive collections of art and archaeology, natural history, geology and ethnology. The adjoining art gallery has a great collection of European old masters, Veronese, Giordano, Zurbaran, some Flemish and Dutch school paintings, Turner and Constable, a collection of Mughal miniatures and valuable palm-leaf manuscripts of Buddhist and Jain origin. There is an excellent collection of art objects and paintings, including the famous Akota bronzes dating from 5th Century A.D. Other treasures include a full-fledged gallery of Tibetan Art.
The relics of Shri Aurobindo are enshrined here. It is open to all for meditation. It houses a library, study room and sales emporium.
Now known as Raopura Tower, it was the central place of the old fort.
The Darbar Hall in Laxmi Vilas Palace, was the court room of the Gaekwads. Here musicians performed and entertained the royal family. The beautiful jharokhas, the magnificent chandeliers and the intricate work on the glass windows enhance the beauty of the hall. Even today classical music concerts are held here.
Unique in concept and design, the EME Temple is a geodesic structure covered with aluminium sheets. Run by the army authorities, this temple is a major attraction for both tourist and devotees.
This palatial building was erected by Sayaji Rao III in 1906. He gifted it to the Municipality to mark the silver jubilee of his administration. The offices of the Baroda Municipal Offices are located in this building.Kirti Mandir
Kirti Mandir, or temple of fame, was built in 1936 by Maharaja Sayaji Rao to perpetuate the glorious memory of his beloved ancestors.
A popular park is a favourite picnic spot of the locals.
Built as the western gateway to the old city in 1558, Lehripura Gate is an impressive structure with beautiful arches.
Home to the Vadodara royalty, the palace was designed in Indo-Saracenic style and built by Maharaja Sayajirao III. The palace contains a collection of old armour as well as bronze and marble sculptures.
Located on the palace grounds, the museum houses the royal collection of paintings including those of the painter Raja Ravi Verma. The royal collection also includes the works of old masters like Raphael, Titian and Murillo, modern western and Indian paintings, Graeco-Roman exhibits, Chinese and Japanese art, and a large collection of contemporary Indian art.
A beautiful palace designed in the Italian style, the Makarpura palace is now used as a training school by the Indian Air Force.
Established in 1949, MSU is one of India's outstanding universities. With roughly 25,000 students on its rolls, many of its departments are internationally renowned. The campus has many architecturally interesting buildings.
Built around 1586, the tomb of Qutbuddin (the army general of the great king Akbar) has beautiful windows carved in stone. There is an old step-well in the sprawling grounds surrounding the tomb. It is one of the oldest Mughal monuments in the city.
The temple of justice, is a unique piece of Byzantine architecture. It houses the District Court of Baroda
Situated in the old walled city near Mandvi Clock Tower, it is the oldest palace built in old classic style by Malhar Rao Gaekwad in the late 19th century. This palace was used on ceremonial occasions by the Gaekwads, for long the ruling family. It now houses the royal family heirlooms.
Nimeta, a village 15 kms from the city, has a water filter station of the municipal corporation. There is a beautiful garden and a guest house. Nimeta is a very popular picnic spot.
Built as the residence of the royal family, the Pratap Vilas is an extravagant and flamboyant building in the Indo-Saracenic style. The palace houses a remarkable collection of old armoury and sculptures in bronze, marble and terra-cotta. It is also the main training centre of the Indian Railways. The college is equipped with a beautiful mini-railway model room showing different types of railway operations including track signalling.
Another of Vadodara's famous parks, it is situated on river Vishwamitri and was built by Sayajirao III in 1879. Spread over 113 acres, it also houses a zoo.
The Sayaji Sarovar or Ajwa lake, 22 kms away from the city, is its principal source of water. It was formed by damming the Surya river and Vaghali Nala. Work on the scheme was started in 1885 and was completed in 1890.
Earlier known as Chandan Talao, it was rebuilt in the 18th century with stone banks and masonry. It is now used for boating and is a splendid sight especially on moonlit nights.